What’s Changing for Our Customers
We decided to change from HSBC to a more ethical bank, Starling. It only affects the way you pay us, so please excuse the nuisance. Check how ethical your own bank is here, at the bank.green website.
Immediate changes, which you’ll see on our invoices:
- less flexible payee name
- new sort code and account number
Later, the format and delivery of our our invoices will change as we adopt Starling’s accounting software.
That’s all – no need to read any more unless you want to.
We started the business, back in 1984, with an account at the Midland Bank, on the High Street in Portishead. In March 1992, HSBC acquired the Midland in one of the biggest businesses mergers of the time.
That makes us loyal customers for 48 years! We’ve had no complaints in all that time, and having a manned branch nearby when others are closing has been very convenient.
However, our enthusiasm has waned in recent years as we became more conscious of the damage we humans are doing to Planet Earth.
Why Change from HSBC
Sadly, HSBC is not a green bank and this doesn’t chime with our environmental policy.
- invested in fossil fuels and has no firm plans to cut exposure
- heavily involved with China, backing the clampdown in Hong Kong
- China is an autocracy: reliance on it for our infrastructure is similar to Germany’s position on Russian gas
Why We Chose Starling Bank
Starling scores well and definitely avoids funding climate-damaging activities. Read more about Starling Bank here.
- green and ethical, with a good zero emissions plan
- they don’t invest in, or serve, organisations that damage our beautiful planet
- integrated accounting system that works with our bank account
- free bank account, since we don’t run an overdraft
Don’t forget to check how ethical your own bank is here, at the bank.green website.